Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What's E-card Up To Now ?

First I read that there are no more paid ads, but then I find more paid ads waiting for my approval.
When I remove them from my site, I find my ranking drops.
Today, I get this Email

Hi everyone,
We hope that you have been pleased with Entrecard’s progress. The management team has been working hard to improve Entrecard and we thank you for your patience.

We have noticed that the total number of Entrecard credits in the system has grown rapidly. This has been due to the fact that more credits are being created than credits are leaving the system. If this inflation continues, Entrecard credits will be worth less and less.

To ensure a stable credit economy and reduce the outstanding credits, Entrecard will no longer give Entrecard credits to the person receiving a drop. In other words, instead of awarding 2 credits for each drop (one to the dropper and one to the blog site owner), only 1 credit will be given to the dropper. This change will be effective September 1, 2009 and will last until further notice.

We have explored many other options to deflate the credit economy and we have found this route to be the easiest and fairest way to resolve the problem for the time being. While this may seem like a set back, it has its advantages. In the long run, the prices to advertise on blogs will decline making advertising more affordable.

While we recognize your concerns, please understand that it is one of our goals to have a healthy Entrecard credit economy. This is a huge change we're making and we will continue to monitor the credit economy.
We will continue to make changes as necessary to accommodate a healthy Entrecard economy. Thank you for your support and understanding.

Cindy Ung
Director of Business Development


I hope they know what they are doing : (

5 comments:

HawgWyld said...

You hope they know what they're doing? The folks over at Entrecard have made one boneheaded move after another over the past year or so. I don't expect that to change.

The latest announcement doesn't surprise me a bit. Do you really have inflation of something (i.e., an Entrecard credit) that has no recognized value at all outside of Entrecard?

Strange stuff, indeed...

The Hawg!

Dave said...

I set my accounts up to automatically accept blog ads (free) and decline paid ads. No more accept/decline crap.

Homeless Blogger said...

What a nice blog. Thank you. I'd like to give you entrecard credits for free: just visit my site please ;-)
my site
P.S. Forget about entrecard drops :-)

Anonymous said...

I don't believe they do. This is new management. The EC credit value has already been devalued. I don't see how making the drops one-sided is going to bring the values up. It will certainly reduce the total number of credits in the system...but..what happens is that it will also considerably reduce the value/price to pay to advertise on someone else's site. We will have fewer credits to advertise with and will get stingy about who we advertise with and the current value to place that ad.

Essentially - placing ads will stagnate and the only thing that will be showing on the majority of the blog widgets will be the EC site.

They must be liberals that don't understand how a free market actually works.

Unknown said...

Nice to meet you!
Interesting post.
I joined Entrecard only a month ago in order to promote my blog without spending a lot of money on ads. But in order to be accepted by EC I had to redo my blog, which mean removing all of the parallell texts in Swedishand write all the texts entirely in English. (It was a bilingual blog.)
I agree that EC is a good way of getting to know other blogs and getting more known yourself, but I am disappointed in how EC has handled this conflict. They should have left well enough alone.
I am going to stay with EC and see what happens, (I really need to promote my blog! And I am learning loads of stuff from other bloggers) but I am thinking about bringing back my original bilingual blog and see how it fairs compared to my EC-blog.

But that means a lot of extra work. I really should use my time to do the work that wanted to promote: making jewellery.

Best wishes
Christina Wigren (Anna)